Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Post by: Hannah Morris

With my interest and admiration for Maya Angelou, I decided to read one of her very early works titled I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I decided to read this not only because it was one of her first published books, but because it was also the first in her autobiographical works. I wanted to know about the experiences in her life and what helped shaped her in the woman she is today and her views of the world.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings was published in 1970 and is probably one of Angelou's most successful and acclaimed works of writing (http://mayaangelou.com/bio/). It is told in first person from Angelou's point of view and tells in great detail, the events and experiences that Angelou went through from the age of 3 to about 16. The book discusses ideas of racism, gender discrimination, beauty, the relationship between children and parents, sexuality, child abuse, motherhood, and one's own path in life.

While the book contains numerous ideas and themes, racial segregation and oppression are probably the largest two of the themes in the novel. Being a young black girl in the south (specifically Stamp, Arkansas) Maya Angelou experienced racial discrimination a lot. She described the segregation being so complete, that most black children didn't know what "whitefolk" looked like (p. 25). There are many instances in Maya Angelou's life that I read about in the novel where she experienced discrimination and felt the oppression. I will only discuss two that I found terrible and shocking.

The first one is when Maya Angelou is graduating from 8th grade in Stamps, Arkansas. She was the 2nd in her class and was very excited to be graduating. A white man came and gave a speech at her graduation, and as he spoke, he mainly discussed how African Americans were thought to only become athletes or servants. He didn't encourage the children to go too far in their education and only commemorated blacks that were athletes. Angelou and many others in the room were aware of how the man was saying that blacks had no way of moving up in the world and were only expected to do physical labor. Angelou describes her feelings as she listened to the speech: "It was awful to be Negro and have no control over my life. It was brutal to be young and already trained to sit quietly and listen to charges brought against my color with no chance of defense" (p. 180). She remembers hating the speech and the awful feelings that crept into her stomach. She knew the man was putting her whole race down and she didn't like it at all.

Another instance is when Angelou was about 13 and had a rotten tooth. The closest dentist was a white man on the white side of town. Angelou's grandmother takes her to the dentist, but when they arrive, he refuses to work on Angelou. He says it's against his policy and he goes so far as to say, "I'd rather stick my hand in a dog's mouth than in a nigger's" (p. 189). Angelou and her grandmother were then forced to take the train to another town to a black dentist that would work on Angelou.

These are only a few out of the many instances where Angelou experienced the intense racism and oppression that came with being African American. However, while she may have had experienced this oppression, she did not let it keep her down. She continued to work hard in school, and even became the first African American to work in the San Francisco streetcars (p. 169). She had to work quite hard to get that job and pushed and pushed until they finally hired her. And from reading her online biography, I saw that this woman did not just stop there, but continued to fight for what she really believed in and still does today.

As I read this novel, I saw some similarities between I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and other novels or articles I have read. One is The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, which also deals with racial discrimination and the social construct that whites are better than blacks. Maya Angelou dealt with many of the same struggles that the main character Pecola goes through, such as being looked down by white people and her ugliness that stems from the idea that white is beautiful and black is not. In fact, Angelou's novel opens up with a segment about wanting to be white, and look like the girls with blonde hair and blue eyes. Other works it reminded me of were Anger and Tenderness by Adrienne Rich and Audre Lorde's Man Child: A Black Lesbian Feminist Response. The anger and frustrations Maya Angelou felt seemed similar to the feelings of Adrienne Rich's feelings about being a woman and mother; both were frustrated with the limitations and social expectations that society had placed upon them, with Angelou only being expected to be a quiet, complacent black woman that serves, and Rich having to be the stay at home mom. Then, in Lorde's article, she discusses how she did her best to teach her children that oppression comes in many forms, but it has nothing to do with self-worth (Lorde 75). I saw this lesson being displayed by Maya Angelou herself. While Angelou did have to struggle with being oppressed and lack of self-worth, she continued to push forward and try to beat the system, proving to them that they were wrong.

Maya Angelou really deserves to be recognized for her strength, courage, and willingness to fight for what she believes in. She is a woman that not only survived intense racial discrimination and oppression, but she worked to change it. She later went on to work with people like Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X, traveling around to give speeches, writing novels and poems displaying her feelings and thoughts and not keeping quiet about her experiences (http://mayaangelou.com/bio/). This is a woman who found her voice even amongst all the cruel remarks, prejudice and oppression. She has even become someone I look up to and admire. My hope is that this simple fan page can get across this very important message: May Angelou is truly an amazing and admirable woman.

Citations:
Her Biography, source of pictures & website: http://mayaangelou.com/bio/

Streetcar picture came from: http://www.trolleystop.com/cablecar.htm

Angelou, Maya. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. New York: Random House, 1970. Print.

Lorde, Audre. Man Child: A Black Lesbian Feminist Response. 1979. Retrieved from d2l.arizona.edu. Web. 1 Apr. 2010

Morrison, Toni. The Bluest Eye. New York: Plume, 1994. Print.

Rich, Adrienne Cecile. “Anger and Tenderness”. Of Women Born; Motherhood as Experience and Institution (1976): 21-40. Web. 24 Feb. 2010

7 comments:

  1. Great interpretations of Maya's "I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings." I agree with you and your interpretation that one reason why Maya is so successful and so achieved is because she is standing up for her beliefs. For her to have experienced racial discrimination makes her work even more powerful, because it's personal. Out of all Maya's works, which did your group like the most? Which one was the most powerful and emotional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed your blog on "I know why the caged bird sings." I found myself going on an emotional rollercoaster as I read your blog. The events you choose to interpret were indeed shocking and upsetting. I was so upset to discover that Angelou, among the entire African American race, was raised with this expectation that she would become nothing more than just a servant to the white race. I cannot imagine how she must have felt hearing that; I can only imagine that she must have used that sort of criticism as fuel for the rest of her life. This seems likely because of the fact that she did not remain silent and became an image of power as she wrote of such relevant issues. I was also appalled to find that a white dentist refused to work on her and would have rather worked on a dog, making her seem less than dirt. I could not agree more with you in that a blog is a great way to inform others about the importance of Angelou's work. What I would like to know is why you chose this artist in particular. Was it her activism in such issues that are still prevalent today or her inspiring stories or something else?

    -Tracy Villarreal

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Lindsey Lachner:
    Thanks for the compliments! I agree with you on that: she's successful due to her triumphs over her struggles and such.

    I'm not quite sure which one my group liked the best. My other group members told me about the poems and they sounded intense and wonderful, but I really enjoyed "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings". Hearing her story told in the way it was, I got to know a lot of details and thoughts about her past. Plus, reading all the numerous events in her life that only happened between 3 and 16, was quite powerful. The stuff she's been through as a child, I can't even begin to imagine myself going through them.

    To Tracy:
    I'm glad you liked the blog. The events Maya did go through were quite intense and emotional for me as well. I, too, can't even begin to imagine going through what this women went through.

    The main reason why we chose this women was because some of my group members had read her in high school. They said that she seemed like a very powerful woman that had a lot of important things to say. They also commented on how famous she was and all the activism stuff she's done. This sparked our curiosity, and we decided to choose her.

    -Hannah Morris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you structured your essay about Maya Angelou. Furthermore, I liked how you talked about how she fights for her beliefs and continues to do so today. I just think that it is crazy that the White dentist refused to see Angelou because of her Race and mentioned how he would rather see a dog. Anyways, how does Maya Angelou feel about Racism today?
    ~Faria Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really enjoyed reading your blog and thought that you did a good job connecting the ideas we've discussed and learned about in class to Maya Angelou's specific works and life. Learning more about her past and the adveristy she has had to overcome was especially effective. So, after reading some of her works and learning more about her here, I was wondering how her work work was recieved within different populations of the U.S. At first, like with I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, was her work well-recieved, or did it cause a stir? Also, do you think that this reaction, whether it was large or small, helped to fuel her creativity and spread her ideas among a wider audience?
    --Gabrielle Karcheski

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Sarah:

    I believe Maya Angelou still feels like racism is a horrible thing, but sees how far we've come since those times of racial segregation. She was very excited when Obama was elected president and said, "America is growing up!" She loves seeing people come together, despite their differences. Here the video I saw:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQPxBUDu8s&feature=channel

    To Gabrielle:

    I believe the work was received very well. It quickly became very popular and is internationally acclaimed. Since it was published around the 1970s, that's when a lot of the racial segregation was being done away with, and this book, I'm sure, fueled even more people's hearts and showed how horrible racism is.

    And yes, I believe it did fuel her creativity. She went on to write even more and now has over 30 best-selling novels out. She had a voice that needed to be heard and she made sure it was.

    -Hannah Morris

    ReplyDelete